Monday 9 May 2011

Tiles

The flats are up! The fireplace had to have a different frame, we made a square within it 4"x3'4" this we routed. So now there is a hole in the chimney breast which is to be built into. We shall be starting this when the wood order arrives.

Today Gregors room has been painted with different shades of brown. It will then have wallpaper on top of this. I left early to paint my tiles for the fireplace.



I created a design via looking at art nouveau fireplace tiles. I also used colours which will hopefully complement the rest of the room. The fireplace, I believe, is out of context. But I have been unable to find any information regarding traditional czech fireplaces. Group 2 had a book regarding this subject but I happened upon it too late. I was unable to find such a useful source. So continuing the theme of art nouveau I believe we can make it work, as long as we all stick to the same basic idea.

The tiles I made out of MDF, I cut them into squares of 15x15cm, sanded the edges and painted them white. I then put covent garden primer over the white for a smoother brush stroke when applying the oil paints. The designs were drawn onto paper and I cut them into stencils. I then traced them onto the tiles with pencil. I made two designs which will hopefully complement each other. I painted on the designs at home with oil colour. I shall wait for them to dry and then apply glaze over the top. I expect they will be dry within a couple of days as they are thin layers.



No comments:

Post a Comment